By Tenpin Bowling Proprietors Association President John Ashbridge
The second bowling centre to open in Aberdeen within a short space of time in 1964 was the 30-lane ABC bowl in George Street. The building was formerly known as the City Cinema which was opened by Aberdeen Picture Palaces on 4th November 1935. The cinema entrance was through a tenement block with the auditorium hidden from view at the rear of the building. The cinema closed in 1963 and was converted into the ABC Bowl which was equipped with AMF lanes and machines and opened on 20th May1964. The lanes and machine were located on two floors of the building. The first manager of the centre was Peter Laing who, prior to his bowling appointment, had been a cinema manager in Motherwell.
The bowling centre enjoyed continuous operation until closure in 2007 when the centre was demolished although the tenement buildings were retained. During that period however, the centre was owned by several different operators. It is unclear when any of the changes took place but by 1990 ownership was with First Leisure Corporation plc. Sometime between 1999 and 2001 ownership changed to Megabowl Ltd. and again between 2003 and 2004 the centre was taken over by Tenpin Ltd and remained with that operator until closure.