By Tenpin Bowling Proprietors Association President John Ashbridge
New Regal Bowl New Road Grays Essex
The Regal Cinema in New Road, Grays, Essex, opened in December 1930. It was Thurrock’s first ‘super-cinema’, complete with luxury furnishings, the latest technical equipment and seating for 1,490 people, all on a single level. The auditorium was designed in a semi-Atmospheric style and whilst predominately a cinema it also showed variety acts six dressing rooms were provided for this.
The Regal Cinema was closed in May 1960 and transformed into a 12 lane ten-pin bowling centre with Brunswick equipment. The bowl, owned by a company called Bowladromes (Grays) Ltd, opened on 3rd March 1962 and was known as the New Regal Bowl but, despite some early success, it was subsequently unsuccessful and is believed to have closed around 1965. The building became derelict and then finally demolished in the mid-1960’s. Housing was later built on the site.
If you have a photo of this centre inside or out, please let us know…