By Tenpin Bowling Proprietors Association President John Ashbridge
ABC Pavilion Bowl Leytonstone London
The fifth bowling centre to open in the London area was the 20 lane AMF equipped centre at Leytonstone which located in the converted ABC Rex cinema. The Rex began life as part of the ABC chain of cinemas and was the first in the group to be known as the Rex when it was opened in 1936. The cinema, apparently, lead an eventful life and was closed on 18th March 1960. The interior was gutted with alterations to permit the bowling lanes to be located on two floors, 12 on the ground floor and 8 on the first floor and was opened on 29th August 1961.
As the ABC Bowl it also appeared to have an uneventful life and was closed on 20th May 1972. Following closure, the building lay derelict for some time and was later demolished and replaced by a building occupied by Co-operative Funeral Care.